|AUM as of||January 1, 2009|
OverviewSoros Fund Management is a hedge fund based in New York. It was founded in 1973 by George Soros with Jim Rogers. They hold $21.0 billion in assets under management as of January 1, 2009. http://www.hedgefundintelligence.com/images/590/55595/Billion%20Dollar%20Hedge%20Fund%20Club%20-%20March%202009%20Survey.pdf
$17 billion in assets under management as of 2008
%11.3 billion in assets under management as of 1/1/2007http://media.ft.com/cms/02fd5a42-f338-11db-9845-000b5df10621.pdf
The Quantum Fund was made famous for breaking the Bank of England. Being on the right side of that bet gained him $1 billion (which at the time was a lot of money). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Wednesday
A good history of the Soros Fund can be found here.
18th largest hedge fund in Institutional Investor's 2008 Hedge Fund 100, up from 25th in 2007http://www.iimagazine.com/Rankings/rankingsHeFu100RGlobal08.aspx?LS=EMS204396
Historical PerformanceQuantum Endowment Fund up 32% in 2007 including:
* Quantum Endowment Fund down .35% in February 2007http://www.hedgefundintelligence.com/ar/Article.aspx?PositionID=22836
Quantum Endowment Fund up 12% in 2006http://media.ft.com/cms/02fd5a42-f338-11db-9845-000b5df10621.pdf
- 11/18/2009 Soros Bets On Ford, AT&T, Wal-Mart, Home Improvement
- 02/04/2009 Soros Imitators Reap Riches in Financial Crisis on Macro Funds Macro funds were up about 5% in 2008 compared to the average hedge fund, down 18.7%. Soros gets the shout out for being a founder in they ways of the macro.
- 01/28/2009 The game changer An article in FT by Soros that talks about how the Lehman bankruptcy created a panic that may lead us into a depression.
- 02/08/2008 Soros Invests $100 Million in Reliance Entertainment amounting to a 3% stake.
- 01/24/2008 Soros Says Lack of Credit Raises Recession Risk
- 01/21/2008 Soros: World Faces Worst Finance Crisis since World War II guess he was right.